Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Because 6 weeks holiday is not enough

(Alternate title: German word for the day)

About a month ago, I found out about a program that allows employees of companies to take paid time off in addition to their holiday entitlement and knew that I had to do that. Research took place and low and behold, I’m just about to book my Bildungsurlaub.

Bildungsurlaub varies from state to state, and in my state one is entitled to this after two years service with their company. The first step is finding what programs are offered and at what time of the year (most states have a website that provides that info) and the final step is getting the time off from your job.

I did it the easy way.

While I would like to have found a course in September, I realised that getting time off then wouldn’t be easy due to my workload at that time of the year, so I chose to request my Bildungsurlaub during summer break - a time when my employer prefers that we take time off. After gathering my info, I presented it to him and he was quite surprised that I had heard of such a program and also that I had found a course that was actually on ‘the list’ on the website and agreed to it. However, it wasn’t easy to find the course.

After deciding what I want to do, I did quite a few internet searches for the type of program I wanted and also included the word Bildungsurlaub. That produced many schools that said they offered what I wanted and were certified to offer that type of program, but when asked for the document needed they weren’t able to produce it. One even had the nerve to tell me that they’d send me the needed document after I registered for and paid for the course. There was no way I was going to do that.

Then I found ‘the list’ on the website. After reading ALL of it, I found what I wanted, contacted the company and got the needed info. The extra time was approved my employer today and I’ll be confirming my tentative booking soon.

I’ll be going to Spain to take a Spanish course for two weeks and then taking four days of regular holiday entitlement to visit Expo 2008.

Even though I’ll be getting paid for the entire time, the first ten days won’t be taken out of my yearly holiday entitlement. I have to pay for my course, accommodation and other expenses, but that doesn’t bother me because I’d have to do so on a normal holiday (vacation) other than the course fees, so that means I won’t be doing much travelling before then. It’ll be worth it, though.

40 paid days off this year.

I like it.

8 Comments:

Very interesting! I wonder if I can use such a thing to attend an intensive German language course?

By Blogger Snooker, at Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:16:00 AM  

I know that that's possible in my state. You should find out what the rules are in yours.

By Blogger J, at Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:28:00 AM  

Awesome, J! I had a feeling you were going to go for Spanish and doing it in Spain is an added bonus.

I taught a week-long Bildungsurlaub course way back in the 90's when I worked as an English teacher for a language school and it was pretty intense and exhausting (I was pregnant but didn't know it yet!) but I think the students enjoyed it.

By Blogger christina, at Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:19:00 PM  

Way to work the system J!

By Blogger Maria, at Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:57:00 PM  

Christina, like I'd take two weeks off and stay in Germany? lol

Maria, if I'm entitled to it, I want it. Actually, I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't find out about it earlier. Apparently it's one of those things you have to know about - employers don't tell you.

By Blogger J, at Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:33:00 PM  

It's not in their interest to tell you. ;-)

By Blogger Maria, at Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:45:00 PM  

i hate

By Blogger thephoenixnyc, at Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:03:00 PM  

maria, I am aware of that. Also, I was annoyed by the fact that since I've been there for six years, this should have been the third Bildungsurlaub I'm going on.

MrJealousyinNYC, sure ya do.

By Blogger J, at Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment