Monday, March 17, 2008

Spring Training update


The Mannheim Tornados came up for some Spring Training against the Caps and I decided to attend. I had never seen the Tornados play and thought it’d be a good way to spend the afternoon – not to mention the fact that it was free.

Mannheim's uniform



The first game was embarrassing, to say the least. The Caps were trying out pitcher I had never seen before (probably from the minor league) – not an uncommon practice during Spring Training – and the result was a loss too large to post.

I almost left.

The second game was better. They had better pitchers – pitchers that deserved to be this league – and to my surprise also changed the entire infield other than the shortstop. The first and basemen are staples on the team so I wasn’t worried about them being replaced – they were probably just trying out backups – and I have to say that both of them played quite well and impressed (unlike the second baseman).

It's a hit!



Another change this year was the catchers. The Caps are not known for having good catchers. The one I saw the first year that I attended a game (2004) was great, but he was promised a position on the national team if he joined a different team the following year and took up that offer. He rejoined the Caps last year but wasn’t there on Saturday (nor was he listed in the roster in th4 website) so I assume he’s found a better offer again. However, the replacement catcher the used on Saturday did okay. I assume that they’re also trying him out from the minor league, but see a lot of potential in him. He doesn’t appear to be a person switched from another position to attempt to catch – he appears to be a catcher.

The weather was favourable – 13C and sunny until 15h, when the clouds decided that we had had enough and brought their friend the winds with them. There’s a big difference between temperature in the sun as opposed to the clouds and wind, and got cold and was about to leave. However, the Caps were holding their own and I couldn’t – so I stayed for another 90 minutes of my favourite sport.

All in all, a fun afternoon.

Mannheim's cool van



4 Comments:

nice to see the ball season has begun.

I went to a game in Düsseldorf. It was a good time.

By Blogger Gardner, at Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:15:00 PM  

Gardner, even though it's only Spring Training, it was good to see it again.

There's a team in DUS?

By Blogger J, at Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:44:00 PM  

J there is even one in your German home town! Google it! CU at training ;)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:37:00 PM  

Anon, I've just done several Google.de searches on it and have followed several links but haven't been able to find anything specific. I assume it's associated with one of the schools in the area, but can't find anything about it on their websites either (other than a mention of the sport).

Could you provide a link? I'd like to take some of my German friends to a few games and it'd be easier to convince them to go across town than to Bonn.

By Blogger J, at Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment