Sunday, March 09, 2008

Things I don’t understand

1. Why the lady behind me shoved me out of the way at the deli at Rewe yesterday. It was obvious that I was ahead of her in line, but she still needed to shove me. If she was in a hurry, she could have asked and I would have let her go before me (she wasn’t – she didn’t rush around the supermarket afterwards).

2. Why many people walked right by the couple in their 20s this afternoon that were trying to push their clearly inoperable (old) Mini up an incline and out of the traffic pattern without stopping to help. It was obvious that they needed help and about ten pedestrians went right by them before I did. I didn’t even give it a second thought and helped them without being asked.

How can common courtesy not exist?

4 Comments:

Because it's common where we're from, but not here?

BTW, I'd have bitched and made a demonstrative show out of being butted in line at the counter. I never stand for it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, March 09, 2008 7:06:00 PM  

I'm with ian, it's not common. :(

By Blogger pfirsch, at Monday, March 10, 2008 2:46:00 AM  

Well, I'd go against the other two posters and say, from my 2 years of experience, the first is not as common but the second surely is. No one here smiles at you let alone would help you when you need it.

By Blogger Unknown, at Monday, March 10, 2008 10:04:00 AM  

There's no such thing as an organized line in Switzerland - except for at, oddly enough, Starbucks.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to give the "death glare" to people who have tried to cut in front of me in line. It's one of the things that absolutely drives me crazy about living here.

By Blogger The Big Finn, at Monday, March 10, 2008 5:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment